Monday, January 24, 2011

January 21, 2011. Amazon, Birthday, Brazil!

We crossed the equator today while traveling down the Amazon River. I’m sitting in the Garden lounge on the 6th deck looking out the window and I can see the shore and villages or farms or something along the shore line. The water is very muddy but the shore is very green. I had no idea what to expect when sailing down the Amazon river, so this neither met my expectations, or failed to meet them.
In other news, today is my 20th birthday! Last night, at midnight, Idin and Francisco busted into my room singing happy birthday making a huge scene. I’m pretty sure my entire sea (hall) knows it’s my birthday now! There isn’t a whole lot you can do on a ship when it comes to celebrating birthdays, but I’m more excited for this one than any previous birthdays. I get to be trapped on a ship with my amazing friends all day every day. Tonight, I am having dinner downstairs with about 20 of my favorite people on the ship so far. My mom and dad ordered me a birthday cake, and emailed me this morning saying “I’m so sorry I got the smallest size, how was I supposed to know that you’d have so many friends by now?!” hahah I’m still making new friends every single day on this ship, and I absolutely love it. It’s strange being away from Bri on our birthday though! Bri is one of my best friends from home, and it’s her 20th birthday today too! For the past 5 years, we have celebrated together with all our friends. It’s weird that the only thing I can do is email a big “Happy Birthday” to her. I think I’m going to go make
a sign and take a pic on the Amazon. Bri- if you are reading this, I’m about to wish you a happy birthday from the Amazon river… but you wont see it until I’m at Cauê’s.
Tonight is the first open mic night on the ship, and I could not be any more excited! Open mic’s are my favorite thing to go to. I don’t perform anything, but I have such a huge appreciation for talent and the confidence to show it off. I can’t wait to see who will do what tonight!
Alright, I’m off to read some more before class… did I mention that there is A LOT of reading to be done on this ship? I’m not to thrilled so far. I love to read, but not when someone else tells me what to read. We’ll be in Brazil the day after tomorrow… well I guess we already are in Brazil, but we’ll be in port the day after tomorrow! Off to see Cauê when I get there! It is almost exactly a year since I was there with him last! I can’t wait! I’ll keep you updated on Brazil when the time comes!


When we entered the Amazon River

My birthday dinner! (missing a few)

Mardy! My favorite 5th deck busboy.


No comments: